What are the best electric scooters for college students?
Electric scooters are a practical, fun and cheap mode of transport for everyone, from young children to business people, adrenaline junkies and older adults. In an urban environment using an electric scooter is much more convenient and practical, especially when combined with public transport, which is why scooters are so popular. But college students could also greatly benefit from e-scooters and for many it could be a lifesaver.
There are many reasons why electric scooters for college students is a great idea. If you need to go somewhere quickly then an electric scooter is the ideal commuting vehicle for that. Luckily there are some fantastic all around and affordable electric scooters, which are ideal for college students. In this review I will list the best electric scooters for college students that don’t brake the bank but have still plenty of quality.
Electric Scooters for College Students
1. The Levy Electric Scooter
The Levy electric scooter is a perfect fir for a college student and lots of college students are using Levy scooters on a daily basis at college. Here are some of the benefits of the Levy electric scooter:
- It is lightweight, weighing in at just 27 pounds.
- It has a quick and easy folding system, which makes it ideal to carry and store.
- The top speed for the Levy is 18 mph or 29km/h, which is plenty fast for cruising around college campus.
- The range of 10 miles for the 6.4aH, 230wH Panasonic battery is not great but the Levy has a unique battery swapping feature. In just 10 seconds you can swap the empty battery with a full battery and keep on riding.
- It has a double braking system with rear disc brake and E-ABS front brake. The braking system is very reliable and strong and the brakes are able to stop the scooter from 15 mph in 21.5 feet.
- The 8.5-inch air-filled (pneumatic) tires add plenty of stability and comfort to the ride, although the Levy does not have a suspension system.
- The Levy electric scooter folds down to a compact 42 x 17 x 17 inches. Which makes it easy to store the scooter in a corner somewhere or take along public transport.
- Another benefit of this scooter is the IP-54 water resistance rating, which means the scooter can handle light rain. Many electric scooters, especially in this price range, don’t have IP-54 water resistance.
- The price for the Levy electric scooter is a budget-friendly $499 and it comes with a 6 month warranty and 14-day no questions asked money back guarantee.
2. GOTRAX XR Ultra Electric Scooter
One of the best electric scooters for college students is also the GOTRAX XR Ultra. It is a very popular budget-friendly electric scooter for commuting that lots of people swear by. This scooter has many features that make it ideal for a college student.
- The XR Ultra is known for its innovative portable folding design. It has a simple and cool one-step folding system, which greatly increases portability. The folding mechanism is very robust and easy to use.
- The maximum range of the LG Battery 7.0AH battery is 17 miles according to the manufacturer. Although under real world conditions the range is a bit lower than this.
- The quiet 300 Watt motor of the XR Ultra can reach speeds of 15.5 mph and has a maximum load capacity of 220 pounds. It is not really designed for a very heavy person.
- The scooter ha a dual-braking system with responsive braking when riding at high speed and anti-lock braking system for added safety. The 8.5-inch tires absorb bumps and rough terrain quite well.
- The XR Ultra has a headlight with 8.5 degrees of irradiation angle and 26 feet irradiation distance, which is makes it possible to ride in low light conditions as well. There is also reflective taillight for added safety.
- The 26 pounds scooter fold up to a compact 41x15x6 inches. The folded up scooter should easily fit in car trunks, public transport or office corners.
- The price of the GOTRAX XR Ultra is a cheap $379.99!
The GOTRAX XR Ultra is ideal for those college students who are looking for a cheap, foldable and portable scooter for commuting. It is ideal when combining with public transport for example.
3. The Ninebot Segway E22E
The Ninebot E22E is an upgraded model of the Segway ES1 electric scooter. It is a basic budget-friendly electric scooter for commuting, which again makes it one of the best electric scooters for college students.
- The range for the E22E is 13.6 miles or 22 km, which is all you need for commuting in the college campus. The 184Wh (5100mAh) battery is far from the best but it gets the job done. The charging time is a quick 3.5 hours.
- The top speed of 20 km/h or 12.4 mph of the 300 Watt motor is not very fast but high top speed is not important for a budget-friendly scooter.
- The weight of the scooter is 13.5 kg or 29.8 pounds, which is light enough for most college students to carry it along for short periods.
- It has a one-push folding system and folds down to 114 x 42 x 36 cm. A cool feature that makes this scooter more compact is that the battery is fitted in the stem.
- Of course the E22E comes with LED lights for better visibility, built-in front, rear and brake E-MARK. As well as front, side and rear E-MARK reflectors for safety.
- The design of the Ninebot E22E is really sleek, the cables have been hidden away and don’t hang out anywhere.
- It has a full LED display that shows battery mode, riding mode and riding speed. It also connects to the Ninebot Segway app via Bluetooth, which means it won’t work without the mobile app-Bluetooth.
- The 9-inch tires along with the 3 riding modes and comfortable handlebars grips, make the ride surprisingly comfortable.
- It also has IPX4 water resistance rating, which means the scooter is resistant to water splashes from any direction.
- The price is $490.50 or £379.99, which is good value for money.
The Ninebot Segway E22E is a surprisingly durable, strong and easy to use. Although it is fairly cheap it is built to last and can take quite a bit of abuse. It is not super comfortable to ride, fairly slow but still one of the best electric scooters for college students for the money.