The Segway Ninebot MAX electric kick scooter has received rave reviews and very high ratings from customers. In this review of the Segway Ninebot MAX electric kick scooter, I will give an overview of the main features and specs of this electric scooter. And try to find out whether it is really worth the $850 price tag.
Segway is one of the first and most well-known modern electric scooter companies. Lots of rental companies use Segway electric scooters and for good reason. The Segway Ninebot MAX is the latest generation and upgraded model that is designed for long and comfortable rides. Hopefully this review of the Segway Ninebot MAX electric kick scooter will give you a better idea whether this e-scooter is best fit for you.
The Segway Ninebot MAX Electric Kick Scooter Review
Specs and Features of the Ninebot MAX
- The Ninebot MAX is a considerable upgrade of your standard commuting e-scooter. It has a fairly powerful 350 Watt motor with a max load of 220 pounds, range of 40 miles and maximum speed of 18.6 mph. These are all very good specs. There is also the Smart Battery Management System in place that extends battery life and also assures battery safety.
- Of course the Ninebot MAX has a one-step folding system that makes it portable and the folding process only takes 3-seconds. This enables you to carry the scooter along with you, store in your car trunk or carry it to public transport. The weight of the scooter is 41.2 pounds, which is not very light.
- It also has standard and required electrical and mechanical anti-lock braking system for braking safety.
- The shock absorbers on the front and rear wheels along with the 10″ air-filled tires add lots of rider comfort on bumpy roads and rough terrain.
- The technology is also pretty advanced with Bluetooth capability, LED display, firmware updates, mobile app connectivity, riding modes, cruise control and more. Plus there is also a built-in charger. It has quite a bit of technology.
- The Ninebot MAX KickScooter also has regenerative braking system that turns the energy collected from braking and adds it when you need an extra boost of power.
- It also features front-facing lights with 2.5 W bright LEd lights. Not really bright enough for riding in the dark though.
- Can ride up 20% slope in ideal conditions, which is solid.
- It has a IPX5 water resistance rating, which means it can resist a sustained, low-pressure water jet spray.
- The Ninebot Max has a 551 Wh battery with 6 hour charging time
Segway Ninebot MAX Electric Kick Scooter Review: The Pros
It is an overall great electric scooter for commuting with great specs. It is faster than most commuting scooters with even better range. It has plenty of power to go up hills without slowing down much, unlike many other scooters.
It is designed really well and the ride itself is very smooth. so there is a lot of performance for a reasonable price. The look of the scooter itself is pleasing to the eye as well in my opinion.
In addition the folding mechanism is super easy and the IPX5 water resistance rating is another huge benefit. Most e-scooter in this price range do not have IPX5 water resistance rating so it is a major plus.
The battery also has short circuit, over-current, system over-heating and over-charge protection. The one chord fast charging is very useful as well because there is no need to carry a heavy charging adapter with you.
It also has a bell which is quite load and very useful little security addition.
Segway Ninebot MAX Electric Kick Scooter Review: The Cons
No electric scooter is perfect and the Ninebot MAX has some negative aspects to it as well. The first is the weight of 41 pounds. It is not easy to carry for most people, which means it is less portable. This is something that needs to be taken into account for sure.
The range of 40 miles is a bit exaggerated. Even when the scooter is fully charged, is in the battery saving mode, you will not get to 40 miles on this scooter.
The headlights could also be brighter, especially if you are planning to ride in the dark. It is not actually recommended to ride in the dark with this scooter.
The price tag of $850 can be expensive for some people and if your budget doesn’t allow it then there are cheaper alternatives out there worth buying.
Segway Ninebot MAX Electric Kick Scooter Review: Verdict
This scooter has received very high ratings (4.5 out of 5 stars). Overall it is a great value for money. Little but more expensive than your general budget electric scooter but it is well worth the money.
The overall specs are really good, in addition to the range, comfort and build quality. It pretty much has everything you would want from an electric scooter. Little bit heavy but certainly not the heaviest scooter there is. There could be shock absorption for the tires for a little bit of extra comfort as well.
I also really love the IPX5 water resistance rating because you don’t have to worry about the scooter when it starts to rain. Another issue with the Segway Ninebot MAX is that it could often be out of stock. You might not be able to get your hands on one because of this. Due to the popularity of electric scooters, the more popular models tend to be out of stock quite often.
Is it worth the $850 price tag?
I would certainly say so. It is certainly better to spend a bit more money on a quality product then buy a cheaper scooter with lots of issues.