The Glion Dolly electric scooter is a very popular compact commuting scooter that lots of people are using to commute. It was released back in 2015, which is a long time ago and since then lots of new e-scooters have hit the market. But does the Glion Dolly electric scooter still has its place or is it now an old relic? We will find out in this Glion Dolly 225 foldable electric scooter review.
Glion Dolly 225 Foldable Electric Scooter Review
Affordable Electric Commuting Scooter
There are some very good reasons why so many people prefer the Glion Dolly 225 e-scooter even in 2020. It is affordable for a lot of folks, it is very simple, light with plenty of durability as well. More and more people are discovering that a using a light e-scooter for commuting is much more convenient and time efficient than walking, using a car or public transport.
Most importantly it is practical and gets the job done and the ride is fun as well. It is a ideal commuting vehicle for urban residents, students, unexpected errands, outlying parking lots or just cruising through the neighborhood. All of this for only $430.
Glion Dolly 225 Foldable Electric Scooter Review: Stats and Features
- The top speed for the Glion Dolly is a industry standard of 15 mph. It has a 250 watt motor that reaches 9.4 seconds to reach the top speed of 15 mph. This is quite slow because this e-scooter is not built for fast acceleration or top speed. The motor can also be somewhat nosy when reaching the top speed.
- The Glion Dolly can climb hills decently well, considering it only has a 250 Watt motor. It does a bit better job at climbing hills than the M365 but it is still relatively slow but it is not be expected.
- Samsung Lithium Ion, 36V takes 3.5 hours to reach 100% and 2.5 hours to reach 75. The charging time is pretty fast which is a bonus. The range is 15 miles for a 165 pounds rider on smooth urban roads. The range for the M365 is a little better at 18.5 miles.
- One of the major weaknesses of the Glion Dolly 225 is its poor braking ability. It takes 40 feet to come to a full stop at its top speed of 15 mph. It is no wonder because there is just one single rear electronic brake for braking. Twist-style control is used to activate the brakes and the brakes activate in binary. This means the brakes are either off or fully on. It is really important to watch out when activating the brakes. due to this. More recent electric scooters use 2 braking systems, which makes the braking smoother and faster.
- Another drawback of the Glion Dolly 225 electric scooter is the poor ride quality. It doesn’t have air-filled tires and the solid tires just make the ride rough. In addition, there is no suspension as well, which also adds to the poor ride quality. You have to make sure you ride on smooth roads with this e-scooter.
Glion Dolly 225 Foldable Electric Scooter Review: Best Features!
Although there are some major drawbacks of the Glion Dolly like already mentioned. But one of its major strong points is its portability. The Glion Dolly 225 electric scooter is best known as the ultimate portable e-scooter and for good reason. Portability is the main selling points for the Glion Dolly.
There are a some really unique features that make it so portable:
- The telescoping towing handle
- Dolly wheels
- Foldable handlebars
- Foldable stem
- Telescoping stem
The light weight of only 28 pounds, along with the folding handlebars and stem, as well as the telescoping stem are features that in combination work really well. Plus the Dolly wheels along with the telescoping handle, which come out of the platform. These features makes the Glion Dolly 225 perfect for people who need to commute on crowded trains or buses.
The Dolly wheels can easily be rolled. When you are in a bus or train you can stand up the e-scooter vertically and it takes up very little space. In addition there is a nylon wrap on the handlebars in order to keep the area that is in contact with the ground protected. The Glion Dolly foldable electric scooter can be rolled around just like luggage that have dolly-style wheels.
It also has a telescoping towing handle, which is stored in the deck. When pushing a button the handle is deployed, just like with a rollable suitcase.
Glion Dolly 225 Foldable Electric Scooter Review: Cockpit, lights, deck and tires
The cockpit and handlebars of the Glion Dolly are very basic that consist of the power button, LCD display, mechanical bell and twist style brakes and acceleration. The cockpit is basic when compared to more recent electric scooters. The twist-style brake and throttle is a bit awkward as well, while LED display only shows the level of the battery.
The Glion Dolly 225 has a red reflector in the rear and one front light, which is mounted low. This light is certainly helpful when it suddenly happens to get dark but it is not powerful enough to ride safely in the dark.
The e-scooter has 8-inch solid tires in both the rear and the front not air filled pneumatic tires. The good thing is that s
olid tires have no risk of flats and require very little maintenance. The bad thing is that the ride quality is not great. The cushioning in poor due to the solid tires and the grip is also on the ppor side due to the solid tires.
The deck measures 18×5.6 inches with a ground clearance of 3.2 inches. There is not a lot of space but not too bad. Plus the handlebar-to-deck distance can be adjusted from 30-inches to 38-inches.
There is a 12-month warranty or 1,00-mile warranty, depends which one comes first. Also there is no official IP water resistance rating, although the hand controls can stand a little moisture and the battery compartment is sealed. Little bit of moisture and rain should be okay but it is encouraged not to ride in wet conditions.
Glion Dolly 225 Foldable Electric Scooter Review: Final Verdict
It is time to end this Glion Dolly 225 foldable electric scooter review. The Glion Dolly is a really great e-scooter for specific people with specific needs. If you need a scooter that is light, foldable and very portable, especially if you are constantly using the train or bus. It is easy to fold. light and can be rolled along just like a piece of luggage.
But other than that the Glion Dolly is below average in other departments, such as speed, range, ride quality power, braking or looks. If you really don’t need a ultra-portable scooter than this one is not for you.
Hopefully this Glion Dolly 225 foldable electric scooter review was of any help for you.
I'm 75 , have COPD and have had this great scooter for a year. I use it all the time on and off public transportation to get around Portland, OR. It's so much fun and I highly recommend it.
Carey N. Smith
Just purchased this for my 6.5 mile roundtrip (concrete bike trail) commute to work. Scooter arrived in an inconspicuous double box, well wrapped, and very protected. The battery was shipped half charged, which i charged to full with the included charger prior to doing a test ride as stated in the owner manual.
The owner manual was very helpful in providing details on the folding/unfolding mechanism, off/on buttons, and indicators on the battery screen. Highly recommend watching their short 30 second videos online if you are confused by the folding/unfolding mechanism.
I chose this scooter for two main reasons:
1) When folded the scooter is smaller, and arguable easier to maneuver compared to any other electric scooter with the same specs/price range. I easily store this (and charge!) under my desk when at work. It is actually small enough to fit in a small coat locker (7 inches wide) next to my desk in case I need to leave it overnight. The dolly feature is easy to use, and a huge plus once in the office making it easier to maneuver in elevators and down hallways.
2) The solid honeycomb tires ensure I never have to worry about a flat during my commute. That said, take it slow on rough surfaces, and try to stick to concrete as much as possible. In my opinion, the peace of mind not having to worry about flats outweighs a slightly more comfortable ride.
Two of my coworkers purchased their own scooters after a few days of me riding it in. It has practically sold itself. So far it has been a 5 star experience, and their customer service has been very friendly and quick to respond to inquiries.